(name, species, breed)
Domestic Short Hair / Mixed (short coat) : : Male (neutered) : : Young : : Small
|Login to Remember your Favorite Animals and Breeds!|
Cagney needs a caretaker or foster! Won't you consider helping him get a new start?
Print an adoption flyer for Cagney!
Meet Cagney and Lacey!
Special Needs Kitten:
* FeLV cats can and MANY DO live long, HAPPY, normal lives.
* FeLV is NOT transmissible to ANY other species, NOT to people, NOT to dogs, NOT to any other living creature in the home, it IS FELINE (cat) specific. ONLY can infect other cats by using the same litter box. food bowls, grooming each other, etc. HENCE, they need to be adopted into a home with NO other cats OR into a home with OTHER FeLV + cats. Even better, as FRIENDS who are siblings like Lacey and Cagney.
* Lacey and Cagney have lived in kennels through their kitten lives and, thankfully, found a temporary foster home with a senior volunteer who lives in Fashion Valley in a apartment setting with no other cats. They can't stay with her forever as she is traveling during the summer of 2022 so we ONLY have a very short window to make a miracle happen for these adorable and SO Healthy strong, loving, and very playful siblings before we have to make the very sad and horrible decision; that would be to likely euthanize them for the lack of a LONG TERM COMMITTED foster home for them as it could take months or a year (If EVER for them to be adopted). ARWOB does NOT believe in warehousing rescues and believe in quality over quantity of life. These sweethearts would be miserable in a cage setting for months and we have been so very LUCKY our volunteer was able to foster them for SO LONG as they have been in foster care since 12/2021; and 6 months into rescue, and their whole life has been in limbo looking for a forever family.
* Lacey and Cagney DO NOT need to be adopted together but, for their happiness, it would be AMAZING if their adopter could keep them together OR have another Felv kitty at home OR have a very safe cat friendly dog to keep the kitty with companionship. We can't be picky for these guys as the goal is for them to find a family, so for a great match adopter we may make an exception and adopt them as singletons even if no other pets at home, but know they would be happier with a friend.
* Since they came to ARWOB, they have ALWAYS been healthy, strong, active, crazy and full of kitten shenanigans! They are also loving with 2 very different personalities.
* Both are active, playful yet also loving and socially interested in seeking human attention and coming up to you to seek being petted. They are growing, thriving, and showing ZERO signs of weakness. WE can't promise that they will live to be 2yrs old or 20 yrs old, but adopters will have 2 VERY happy, loving kittens (teens) who will bring SO much fun, companionship, and love to their new family.
*Their foster mom reports they are both very loving.
Both are very intrigued by dogs and should easily incorporate into family with dogs. It would be easy to get along with other kitties in the home assuming they are also FeLV. They would be excellent for any family from retired to working adults or families with children.
Cagney loves to fetch toys like little soccer balls and toy mice.
Lacey loves to play with shoe laces
both LOVE laser and wands
More questions about Felv?
New adoption program for FeLV+ cats | Operation Kindness
Austin Pets Alive! | Feline Leukemia Adoption Center
ARWOB will be happy to help with a stipend of up to $300 a year per kitty should they develop any Felv related medical like an URI or need some support like medications etc for their lives.
We will also ALWAYS be there for them. There are NO heroics once a feline becomes ill with symptoms from FeLV. Surgery or Chemotherapy are usually not options. Medically, we maintain their health with the use of antibiotics and/or steroids when necessary. They are not constantly on medications and they live like any other cat. The virus is best maintained by keeping the cat indoors away from sick strays and providing a good, high quality diet; a stress-free environment is essential.
We would LOVE to see these kitts get homes for the time that they have. We need to get past the stigma of a virus that is SO misunderstood. No one wants to lose a pet, BUT we do not have a guarantee with any pet we adopt. We love them for the time we have with them with all of our hearts and that can be 2yrs or 18yrs.
Please submit an application online at ARWOB.org
More about Cagney
Special Needs: FeLV+